DJI has unveiled their latest smartphone stabilizer with the OM5.
The OM5 builds upon the design of the OM4 with the same magnetic clamp mount and folding design. The overall size of the OM5 is about one-third smaller than the outgoing model, making it more pocketable and portable.
One new feature for this year is the addition of an extension rod, which helps you get some new angles and new shooting possibilities.
“With the iterations of the DJI OM smartphone stabilizers over the years, we have been aiming to lower the threshold of professional and high‐quality shooting by offering users more accessible and helpful tools for their everyday activities,” said Paul Pan, Senior Product Line Manager at DJI. “For those who rely on their smartphones, the DJI OM 5 is your ultimate compact, technologically advanced gimbal ‐ any time you want to create footage of your most memorable moments.”
In the DJI Mimo app, there are a set of tutorials and pre-sets called ShotGuides that automatically edit your video.
Other features of the OM5 include:
- ActiveTrack 4.0: It now supports tracking at up to 3x zoom at 5 m/s, and precisely identifies and steadily follows the subject centred in-frame, even while in action
- Gesture Control: Easily start and stop video recording or take photos by using hand gestures to control the DJI OM 5, perfect for capturing an epic selfie or group footage without a finicky self‐timer.
- DynamicZoom: A visually appealing cinematic look, DJI OM 5 automatically adjusts the zoom function to create the dramatic background shift made popular by Alfred Hitchcock.
- Timelapse, Motionlapse, Hyperlapse: Show the passing of time in a sped‐up form using Timelapse; Motionlapse, which adds set movement points for the gimbal; or Hyperlapse to physically move with the gimbal. All three modes use Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) technology as well as the 3‐axis gimbal for an added level of smoothness.
- Panoramas: Choose from three creative panorama options to capture a wider perspective including 3×3 panorama, 240°panorama and “CloneMe” panorama which allows the user to add multiple versions of a person or subject into one shot for a unique and creative effect.
- Spin Shot Gimbal Movement: Activated in the DJI Mimo app and using the joystick, the gimbal will rotate the phone to give a spinning effect.
- Story Mode Templates: Choose from one of the pre‐set templates to add a creative spin to your content. The DJI OM 5 uses pre‐set movements, music and colour palettes for quick videos perfect for sharing on social media.
- Glamour Effects: Supports automatic retouching and customized parameter settings. Glamour Effects will be automatically activated when switching to the front-facing camera.
Alongside the OM5, DJI is introducing some new accessories including the new Fill Light Phone Clamp, which magnetically attaches and has a built-in light.
The Light Phone Clamp is sold separately for $49 CAD.
In the box, you’ll get the OM5, magnetic clamp, tripod, USB-C cable, wrist strap and carrying pouch.
The DJI OM5 costs $139 CAD will be available in two colours, Sunset White and Athens Grey.
The OM5 is available now from DJI’s website and authorized retailers.