For the past few years, Motorola has stepped away from making phones with flagship specs and focused more on budget and mid-range devices.
Now with the Edge+ and Edge, Motorola back to making devices with top of the line specs in an already saturated Android smartphone market dominated by Samsung and Huawei.
The Edge+ has a 6.7-inch AMOLED “Endless Edge” display with a 90Hz refresh rate. It supports HDR10+ and has a resolution of 2340 x 1080 with a 385ppi.
Powering the Edge+ is the Snapdragon 865 processor with 12GB of RAM. The device comes with 256GB of UFS 3.0 storage with no microSD card slot.
The phone is running Android 10 with some Motorola apps pre-installed. The battery is 5,000 mAh which should last more than a day. There’s also 15W fast wired charging, 15W wireless charging and support for 5W reverse wireless charging.
In terms of cameras, the Edge+ has a 108MP wide-angle lens, 8MP telephoto with 3x optical zoom and 16MP ultrawide and a Time Of Flight depth camera.
The rear camera can shoot up to 4K video at 30fps or 1080p at 30/60 fps. There’s also an in-display fingerprint reader.
The Edge+ will be available in two colours, Thunder Grey and Smoky Sangria.
The Edge+ will start at $999 USD (around $1400 CAD) and exclusive to Verizon in the US.
Motorola has confirmed that the Edge+ will be coming to Canada but see update below for pricing and carriers.
Update – May 29th, 2020: The Motorola Edge+ is now available in Canada from Bell, Telus and Koodo. Pricing for the Edge+ is below.
- $0 down and $61.88 per month 24 months for with SmartPay device financing
- $120 to $720 CAD upfront with one of Bell’s unlimited plans starting at $75 CAD per month
- $730 CAD upfront on Tab Extra Large with $30 CAD per month for 24 months
- $970 CAD upfront on Tab Large with $20 CAD per month for 24 months
- $1,090 CAD upfront on Tab Medium with $15 CAD per month for 24 months
- $1,210 CAD upfront on Tab Medium with $10 CAD per month for 24 months
- $1,575 CAD outright
- $0 upfront with $60.42 CAD per month for 24 months via Telus Easy Payment Plan
- $700 CAD upfront with $31.25 per month for 24 months
- $1,100 CAD upfront with $14.58 per month for 24 months
The Motorola Edge offers similar specs to the Edge+ with a few differences. It has the same 6.7-inch AMOLED “Endless Edge” display at 90Hz but it’s running a Snapdragon 765 processor with 4GB of RAM.
There’s also 128GB of storage plus a microSD card slot in the Edge. The phone’s battery is 4,500 mAh and its running Android 10.
For cameras, the Edge has a 64MP main lens, 16MP ultra-wide, 8MP telephoto and a TimeOfFlight sensor.
The Edge will be available in two colours, Solar Black, Midnight Magenta.
Just like the Edge+, Motorola has confirmed that the Edge will be coming to Canada but no exact details have been announced.
Both the Edge and Edge+ have support for 5G (sub-6) which can achieve speeds of up to 4Gbps. It’s unclear if the Canadian models will have 5G support as Rogers currently is the only carrier with 5G.