At the LA Auto Show 2019, Kia has announced the all-new Seltos which is the company’s entry SUV.
The new Seltos takes inspiration from the Telluride from earlier with a rugged yet defined look. The new vehicles offer a 7.2-inch ground clearance and the company’s signature tiger-nose grille.
It’s powered by a 2.0-litre four-cylinder MPI engine that produces 146 horsepower and 132 lb.-ft of torque with an Intelligent Variable Transmission.
It’ll come with a 1.6-litre Turbo GDI engine that produces 175 horsepower on higher trim levels with a 7-speed Dual Clutch transmission.
The interior of the Seltos takes another cue from the Telluride with an upscale look and feel. There are a 7-inch Supervision driver’s display, Bose speakers and two-step reclining rear seats.
For infotainment, the vehicle comes equipped with a 10.25-inch high-res colour touchscreen with Kia’s UVO system. There’s also Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, wireless charger.
On the driver assistance side, the Seltos comes with Kia Drive Wise which is made up of:
- Blind Spot Collision Warning (BCW): Under certain conditions, can detect vehicles travelling in the next lane. When a vehicle is detected in the blind spot, an icon flashes in the mirror. A chime will sound if the turn signal is on.
- Blind Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist (BCA): Builds on BCW by applying brakes to the outer wheel under certain conditions to return the vehicle to its lane.
- Driver Attention Warning (DAW): Senses inattentive driving patterns and sends an audible/visual warning to alert the driver.
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist with pedestrian detection (FCA): Assists the driver in braking to help prevent a collision or lessen the effects in certain conditions if a vehicle or pedestrian is detected in front.
- Highway Driving Assist (HDA): Uses federal highway speed limit information from the navigation system and, under certain conditions, will automatically adjust speed to be within the posted speed limit and maintain distance with the vehicle detected in front.
- Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS): Designed to alert the driver if the system detects that the vehicle is about to depart from its current lane without a turn signal.
- Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS): Builds on LDWS by applying slight steering inputs in certain circumstances to help bring the vehicle back into the lane.
- Lane Following Assist (LFA): Builds on LKAS. Follows lane markings that the system detects and provides steering inputs to help maintain the vehicle in the centre of the lane.
- Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist (RCCA): Uses BCW technology to help detect approaching cross traffic when in reverse. When approaching cross-traffic is detected, the system alerts the driver and applies brakes.
- Rear Occupant Alert: Designed to provide a message in the instrument cluster for the driver to “Check rear seats” in order to help prevent leaving the vehicle with a rear passenger left inside; the message appears when the driver door is opened after a rear passenger door has been opened and closed.
- Smart Cruise Control with Stop & go (SCC w/S&G): Designed to adapt to the driving environment by automatically applying the brakes, or accelerator, to help maintain a predetermined distance from a vehicle it detects in front. Can bring the vehicle to a full stop and resumes when traffic resumes within three seconds of stopping.
- Safe Exist Assist (SEA): Can alert the driver or passengers opening their door not to exit the vehicle when the system detects approaching traffic. When detected, a chime sounds.
The 2021 Kia Seltos is set to launch in the US in Q1 2020 with an estimated starting price of under $22,000 USD.
The Kia Seltos will hit the Canadian market in the second half of 2020 but no Canadian pricing has been announced.