Roku has refreshed their streaming player lineup for 2019 with the new Roku Express and Roku Premiere.
“We are delivering more value and improved picture quality across the new 2019 streaming player line up for Canada. The Roku Premiere delivers 4K HDR for a more immersive TV experience,” said Lloyd Klarke, Director Product Management at Roku. “Whether you are new to streaming or demand more advanced features such as better Wi-Fi, 4K HDR and voice search, we have the right streaming player for everyone.”
The new Roku Express is 10% smaller than the previous model and will easily blend into your entertainment console or back of your TV. The player offers up to 1080p HD video out, HDMI out (an HDMI cable is included) and a microUSB port, so you can power the device from your TV’s USB port.
The remote for the Roku express now has shortcuts for Netflix, the Roku Channel, Google Play and CBS All-Access.
The Roku Express will retail for $39.99 CAD when it launches in October.
The new Roku Premiere comes with a quad-core processor and a low-profile form factor. The device can handle streaming in 1080p HD, 4K Ultra and 4K HDR content with ease.
In the box, you’ll get the streaming device, power cord and adapter and HDMI cable.
The updated Roku Premiere will launch in early October for $49.99 CAD.
Roku Streaming Stick+
The Roku Streaming Stick+ which launched in Canada last year will be getting a slightly updated remote with a mute button.
The Roku Streaming Stick+ costs $89.99 CAD and will launch alongside the new Roku Express and Roku Premiere.
Starting on October 27th, the Roku Straming Stick+ will be getting a permanent price drop to $69.99 CAD.
Updates to the Roku Channel
In addition to the new streaming players, Roku announced that 14 live linear channels will be coming to the Roku Channel.
- Law & Crime ‒ Watch the courtroom drama unfold live and get in-depth legal analysis on the day’s biggest crime and legal stories.
- Now This ‒ Now This is the most-watched mobile news brand in the world, providing the latest in video news, investigative reports, interviews and original series.
- AllTime ‒ AllTime aims to bring you the most informative, fascinating and engaging top 10 videos.
- TMZ ‒ Get your daily dose of pop culture from the TMZ channel featuring programs such as TMZ Sports, The Hollywood Beatdown, TMZ TV, TMZ Chatter and more.
- AFV ‒ America’s Funniest Home Videos (AFV) shines the spotlight on hilarious videos to bring you America’s ‘real-life’ funny moments captured on video.
- Fail Army ‒ FailArmy is the world’s number one source for epic fail videos and hilarious compilations.
- Pet Collective ‒ The Pet Collective is home to the top trending clips, most entertaining memes, and funniest animal videos.
- People Are Awesome ‒ People Are Awesome is the number one destination for amazing, original videos and compilations of ordinary people doing extraordinary things.
- Adventure Sports Network ‒ Adventure Sports Network (ASN) is the worldwide leader in adventure sports, outdoor, lifestyle and travel.
- Food52 ‒ Come on by the Food52 test kitchen. Our award-winning editors and kitchen experts—like Genius Recipes‘s Kristen Miglore and Dear Test Kitchen‘s Josh Cohen -are here to help with dinner tonight, weekend meal prep, cookie emergencies, you name it.
- Tastemade ‒ Planning your next adventure abroad or at home? Tastemade shows you how it’s done. Whether expanding your palate or your itinerary, Tastemade presents even more of the things you love. Hundreds of hours of original shows, streaming straight to you.
- FilmRise Free Movies ‒ Catch film stars like Owen Wilson, Emma Stone, Morgan Freeman and more in our massive selection of free blockbusters.
- FilmRise Crime ‒ The best Crime TV to satisfy the sleuths among us.
- FilmRise Classic TV ‒ Catch primetime smash hits like 21 Jump Street and Hunter all day long.
The new live linear channels for the Roku Channel will be available to Canadian users in the coming weeks.
In addition to the new Roku players, TCL has launched a 75-inch version of their Roku-powered TV set in their 4-Series (75S425-CA) and top-of-the-line 6-Series (75R615-CA).
Both models offer 4K Ultra HD resolution with a 60Hz refresh rate on the 4-Series version and 120Hz on the 6-Series.
You can pick up the new TV models at Best Buy Canada and Amazon.ca.