DJI is looking to go in a different direction from just making drones, that’s evident with their recently announced Osmo Action Camera.
“DJI has always pushed the limits of technology, and the content creators who love our products made clear they wanted us to push the limits of their creative potential too. Osmo Action is our cutting-edge answer to what the creative community demands: Exceptional image quality and stabilization in a unique and durable new form factor, with dual colour screens and seamless software integration. For all types of creators who push their gear to the limits, Osmo Action sets the new standard,” said Roger Luo, DJI President. “Whether you are capturing aerial content with Mavic 2, incredibly smooth content with Osmo Pocket, or heart-racing footage with Osmo Action, DJI offers a full suite of products for your creative needs.”
The Osmo Action shares similarities with the GoPro HERO7 Black with a rugged exterior that is dustproof, shockproof, waterproof and can work in sub-zero temperatures.
There are a 2.25-inch rear touchscreen and a 1.4-inch screen on the front that can be used to make vlogging and taking selfies easier.
DJI will also be offering some accessories for the Osmo Action including:
- Camera Frame Kit: Included with Osmo Action, the Camera Frame Kit offers a universal mount for additional accessories and a window for the LED indicator to show camera status in real time while protecting the device.
- Adhesive Mounts: Attach Osmo Action to flat or curved surfaces including skateboards, bikes, helmets, and more to capture fast-paced moments. Both the curved and flat adhesive mounts are included with Osmo Action.
- Waterproof Case: The waterproof case protects the device at depths down to 60 meters while providing a clear image using high-strength glass.
- 3.5mm Adapter: The 3.5mm adapter offers users the ability to connect an external mic for professional sound recording.
- Extension Rod: Capture unique angles using the Extension Rod, which features a rotatable phone holder and a ¼-inch screw adapter.
- Floating Handle: The Floating Handle offers a comfortable grip for Osmo Action and keeps it floating when shooting in water.
- Filters: Osmo Action comes with Neutral Density (ND), Polarizer, and underwater filters. ND filters (ND4, ND8, ND16, and ND32) reduce light exposure in various environments, while Polarizer filters reduce reflections and increase colour saturation for a more appealing image. Orange Seawater and Purple Freshwater filters restore the natural colour of underwater scenes.
- Charging Hub: Charge up to three batteries simultaneously in less than 130 minutes.
The camera uses DJI’s own Action OS which has been streamlined to make it easy to easy. The Osmo Action also has three dedicated buttons for power on, start/stop recording and change modes.
The Osmo Action comes equipped with a 1/2.3-inch camera sensor that can take 4K video at up to 60fps (with DJI’s Electronic Image Stabilization) and 12-megapixel photos. The aspherical lens records content with low-distortion and reduces warping effects.
Some of the modes on the Osmo Action include:
- Slo-mo: 8x slow motion in 1080p 240fps or 4x slow motion in 1080p 120fps creates a visually appealing effect when documenting action-packed scenes.
- Timelapse: To turn minutes into seconds, Timelapse is perfect for capturing unique content with the effect of the world moving faster.
- Custom Exposure settings: Shoot for the stars with manual and semi-automatic settings that allow up to 120 seconds of exposure, perfect for capturing the night sky.
The DJI Osmo Action is available now from DJI’s website for $469 CAD ($349 USD) and starts shipping immediately. It’ll be available from authorized retailers on May 22nd.