One of the most highly-anticipated movies of the year, Avengers: Endgame, the film that concludes a 22-movie arc has just hit $1.2 billion at the global box office.
Avengers: Endgame has broken numerous records including becoming the first film in history to surpass $1 billion in its opening weekend and in just five days.
“Kevin Feige and the Marvel Studios team have continued to challenge notions of what is possible at the movie theatre both in terms of storytelling and at the box office,” said Alan Horn, Chairman, The Walt Disney Studios. “Though ‘Endgame’ is far from an end for the Marvel Cinematic Universe, these first 22 films constitute a sprawling achievement, and this weekend’s monumental success is a testament to the world they’ve envisioned, the talent involved, and their collective passion, matched by the irrepressible enthusiasm of fans around the world.”
To put that into perspective, Avengers: Infinity War his the billion dollar mark in just 11 days.
“From the very beginning with ‘Iron Man,’ all we’ve wanted to do was tell stories that brought these characters to life on screen the way we’ve experienced them as fans of the comics,” said Kevin Feige, President, Marvel Studios. “That we’ve had so many other successes in this journey leading to this unbelievable result with ‘Avengers: Endgame’ has been almost entirely due to the fans around the world who have supported us through it all. Our directors, Anthony and Joe Russo, and our writers, Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, really brought this story home, and I am also incredibly thankful for our cast and filmmakers from across the MCU and all who’ve worked so hard to make these films the best they can be, including the amazing teams at Marvel Studios and Disney. And of course, without Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, none of this would have been possible.”
Here are some of the latest stats for Avengers: Endgame:
- #1 domestic ($350M), international ($859M), and global ($1,209.0M) debuts
- #1 domestic Thursday previews ($60M)
- #1 domestic single-day gross and #1 domestic Friday gross ($156.7M)
- #1 domestic Saturday ($109M) and Sunday ($84.3M) grosses; Saturday is first $100M+ day without previews
- #1 China opening day ($107.8M) and opening weekend ($330.5M) and already ranks as the #4 non-local film ever released there
- Fastest film to $1B globally (5 days)
- 8th Marvel Studios film to cross $1B; 2nd to cross $1B this year (with “Captain Marvel”)
- Biggest industry opening weekend across all regions and in 44 markets, including Australia, China, Korea, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, France (admissions, non-local), Italy (non-local), Spain, UK/Ireland
- Biggest industry single-day grosses in 29 markets, including Australia, China, Korea, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Spain, UK/Ireland
- Biggest IMAX global debut ($91.5M)
With Avengers: Endgame, Marvel Studios now has the top two global openings of all time, six of the top 10 domestic debuts and two of the top three international debuts.
All the 22 films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe have grossed $19.9 billion to date over the past 11 years.
Avengers: Endgame is now playing.