Nvidia is now rolling out the Shield Experience Upgrade 7.0 for their Shield TV box which updates it to Android Oreo.
The new update brings a new homescreen where you’ll be able to quickly access your apps, services and more. You can also rearrange it to how you like.
The top of the homescreen has the Google Assistant search and settings shortcut. Below that is your favourite apps, next is all your TV shows, movies that you started watching but didn’t finish.
After that is Channels, which shows you new entertainment from your favourite apps. In addition, Prime Video is getting a new interface with the Oreo update for Shield TV as well as more option for using your device as a Plex Media Server. You can now move your server’s app data to a USB storage device.
There’s also a SmartThings hub update that allows you to control your smart home products on the Shield TV. The Google Assistant for Shield TV is also updated to bring you 6 new voices.
In addition, Shield TV works with Arlo Cameras, Emerson Sensi, Ikea Tadfri, LG Smart Appliances and scene support for Philips Hue.
The new update should be rolling out now for all version of the Shield TV over the next few days.
Here’s the complete changelog:
- A Brand New Home Screen: All your entertainment is now in one place with Android 8.0 Oreo. Live TV, video-on-demand, streaming media, and games – it’s all there and it’s fully customizable!
- Favourite Apps: You choose the apps and the order! Hold the Select button on an app to move it. To access all your apps, hold the Home button or select the red Apps icon.
- Play Next: Continue where you left off in TV shows, movies, and games. To add content to Play Next, navigate to the content and hold the Select button. Note: Not all apps support Play Next.
- Channels: Discover new entertainment from your favourite apps. You choose the channels and the order. Navigate left on a channel to move or remove it. Note: Not all apps support Channels.
- Apps are TV Channels: Organize your favourite apps into a “TV guide” style layout. See shows from each app on the home screen.
- Amazon Prime Video Gets a Big Update: Discovering new shows has never been easier with the new Prime Video user interface. New features include the ability to add and remove shows to your Watchlist and more.
- PLEX Media Server Expands Storage Options: Your server’s app data (metadata, background art, and more) can now be moved to USB storage devices. From the PLEX app, go to Settings > Plex Media Server > Storage Location.
- Watch Live Sports with ESPN+: Cut the cord and watch live sports on ESPN without a cable plan. The ESPN+ subscription service is now available on the ESPN app.
- Enjoy YouTube Red Originals in 4K Ultra HD on YouTube TV: Watch original series like Cobra Kai in 4K. Plus, enjoy your live sports in full HD at 60FPS for smooth live action gameplay in top channels like CBS and NBC.
- FandangoNOW Offers Huge Selection of Movies in 4K Ultra HD: You can now watch the newest movies including Black Panther in stunning 4K Ultra HD.
- Enjoy the New SmartThings Hub Update: Certain automations that control Zigbee and Z-wave devices can now run locally without requiring cloud processing, leading to faster response time.
- Watch CNBC: Stream CNBC’s business news, financial information, and market data or log in with your TV service provider to watch CNBC Live’s primetime shows like Mad Money, Closing Bell, and Shark Tank.
- Watch Dish Network: SHIELD is now your Dish Network cable box with the Dish Anywhere app. Access live TV, recorded shows, or on-demand movies.
- Discover your Dream Home: Search for new homes and view immersive photos and video walkthroughs on your big screen TV.
- What’s New on Google Assistant: Google Assistant Adds 6 New Voices
- Open Settings -> Preferences on the Google Assistant app on your phone.
- New smart home partners:
- Arlo cameras
- Emerson Sensi
- Ikea Tadfri
- LG Smart Appliances
- Scenes support for Phillips Hue
- New services:
- Dunkin’ Donuts
- Lonely Planet Travel Guide
- New games:
- Shadowgun Legends
- The latest monthly Android security updates
- Quick access to Settings when you’re on the home screen by holding the Back button
- Support for high polling rate gaming mice for NVIDIA GameStream
- Improved support for game controllers:
- Customize SHIELD controller thumbstick dead zones (Settings-> Apps-> Input viewer)
- Xbox 360 and DualShock 4 v2 controllers
- DualShock 4 controllers using USB wireless adapter
- Adds “Connect” option to re-pair disconnected Bluetooth accessories (Settings->Accessories)
- Ability to connect to Wi-Fi without disconnecting Ethernet (Settings-> Network-> Ethernet)
- General stability fixes on SHIELD remote (2017) and controller (2017)
- Latest accessory firmware versions:
- SHIELD controller (2017): v1.24
- SHIELD controller (2015): v1.96/99/3.71/0.32
- SHIELD remote (2017): v1.33
- SHIELD remote (rechargeable): v.1.30